Saturday, July 12, 2008

Withdrawal from an Accounting class

This week I did something I had a hard time deciding to and that was withdrawing from the one and only accounting doctoral class I had scheduled for this summer. My reasoning is as follows:
1. The web based classroom was not turned on until week 1 of a 7 1/2 week class.
2. I was notified of the book for the class until middle of week 1 and did not get the book from the school book store until the beginning of week 2.
3. Had to complete week 1 and week 2 requirements in week 2.
4. Professor required a 20 page mid-term research paper submitted by the beginning of week 4.
5. Professor required a 40 page final research paper submitted by the beginning of week 6 when most of the courses at Argosy have had the final paper submitted on the last day of class.
6. Professor was unwilling to adjust due dates even though the start of the class was delayed due to no fault of the student.
7. On top of the papers listed above the weekly requirements were to summarize three academic journal articles based on the two chapters of required reading from the book. Summaries were required to no less than three to five pages even though this limit was not stated in the requirements.
8. The final straw was the vague instructions on requirements and vague guidance on papers submitted. I was told to be more formal in my writing and not use colloquial language, and when I asked for clarification I never received a response.



No comments: